Eggs are recommended by nutritionists because they are healthy. They contain different kinds of nutrients need by the body for proper functioning. Eggs also improve the general welfare of a person. Some people consume cooked eggs, whereas others prefer raw eggs. It has been proven raw eggs pose the same health benefits as cooked eggs. However, heated debate emerges if raw eggs are safe and healthy for human consumption. Some people claim it can reduce the rate nutrients are absorbed in your body. They also claim it is linked to salmonella infection. So, is consumption of raw eggs healthy and recommended?
Raw eggs are highly nutritious
Raw eggs are highly nutritious. This is one of the reasons people prefer consuming them raw. Raw eggs are rich in minerals and vitamins. Raw eggs contain high amounts of protein. Protein in raw eggs provides people energy to keep going. Protein found in raw eggs helps repair and build body cells. It also keeps your body fluids in check. Raw eggs also contain omega 3 fat. Omega 3 fat falls under the category of polyunsaturated fat. It helps protect your heart against conditions. Here are some other nutrients found in raw eggs and their benefits:
- Vitamin A enhances vision and helps maintain a healthy skin.
- Raw eggs are rich in Iron. Iron helps transport oxygen to different parts of the body. Oxygen is essential for proper body functioning.
- Vitamin D helps strengthen both teeth and bones.
- Vitamin E boosts the immunity of the body. This makes it for the body to fight and prevent diseases.
- Vitamin B12 found in raw eggs protects the heart from various conditions.
- Choline supports the proper brain function and development.
- Selenium ensures body tissues don’t break down.
Below are some facts about raw eggs with an aim of determining if they are safe and healthy or not:
Protein isn’t well absorbed
As earlier stated, eggs are a good source of protein. They also contain all the nine amino acids. Therefore, eggs offer complete protein. However, eating raw eggs has some negative effect on the absorption rate of protein in the body. Raw eggs will decrease the rate your body absorbs protein in the body. This is very low when compared to absorption of protein on cooked eggs. Studies revealed that the body absorbs half proteins found in raw eggs and over ninety percent of cooked eggs. Consumption of cooked eggs also reduces some nutrients and proteins. They range from potassium, vitamin A, phosphorous and vitamin B5.
Raw egg whites block Biotin Absorption in the body
Biotin is commonly referred to as vitamin B7. It is a soluble B- vitamin. Biotin plays a direct role in the production of fatty acids and glucose in the body. Cooked egg yolk is a very good source of biotin. However, raw egg can block the absorption of biotin in the body. Raw egg white poses a protein called avidin. Avidin tends to link with biotin in the small intestine. This makes it difficult for the absorption of biotin. Avidin gets destroyed when exposed to heat. This is the reason this issue isn’t visible in a cooked egg. Raw egg whites block biotin absorption when taken in high amounts for a long time.
Some Raw eggs are contaminated with bacteria
Medical practitioners encourage people to eat eggs only when cooked because bacteria. Salmonella is the most common bacteria found in some raw eggs. This bacteria can be found on both the egg shell and insider the eggs. Salmonella only survives in undercooked or raw eggs. Anyone who consumes raw eggs containing Salmonella bacteria, risks food poisoning.
Food poisoning caused by Salmonella bacteria is serious to the point it presents symptoms. These symptoms are headache, stomach cramps, fever, nausea and diarrhea. People experience food poisoning differently. Some people experience these symptoms within six hours after consuming raw eggs with Salmonella bacteria. There are two who will exhibit these signs forty eight hours after consuming contaminated raw eggs. These symptoms may go up to a week, depending on an individual. The possibility of an egg being contaminated with Salmonella bacteria is very low. However, don’t risk it because you never know the content of your raw eggs.
People prone to Salmonella bacteria infection
Some people are prone to salmonella bacteria infection and pose serious health factors when compared to others. Below people should avoid eating raw eggs at all cost. They are prone to salmonella bacteria infection when they consume raw eggs. Below are some of these people:
- Young children and infants- The immune system of young children is not yet completely developed. This leaves them vulnerable to different conditions such as salmonella bacteria infection.
- Pregnant ladies- expectant ladies should avoid raw eggs at all cost. Salmonella bacteria infection can causes cramps on the uterus for pregnant women. This can result into stillbirth or premature birth. There are instances where expectant women lose their pregnancy.
- The elderly people in the society are prone to food-borne infections. These infections are triggered by the kind of meals they feed on. This makes them vulnerable to Salmonella bacteria infection.
- People with immune compromised conditions- People with chronic diseases are prone to different chronic diseases. These are people with HIV, diabetes and tumors. Such people should avoid raw eggs at all cost.
Minimizing the risks of bacterial infection because of raw eggs
You cannot completely reduce the possibility of contracting Salmonella bacteria infection. However, there are tips on how to reduce the possibility of contracting this bacterial infectio0n:
- Consider purchasing eggs that were stored in the refrigeration section in grocery stores.
- Give priority to pasteurized egg products and eggs. Numerous supermarkets contain pasteurized eggs.
- Keep your eggs refrigerated at home. Room temperate can facilitate the growth of harmful bacteria.
- Throw away dirty and cracked eggs.
- Don’t consume any expired raw eggs. A high fraction of rotten eggs are prone to salmonella bacteria infection.
As seen above, cooked eggs are recommended to raw eggs. Raw eggs reduce the absorption rate of protein. It might also bar the absorption of biotin. Don’t risk the possibility of contracting Salmonella bacteria infection. Avoid raw eggs at all cost.