Bananas are very popular among people. Most people love yellow or ripe bananas. Bananas also have a sweet taste. They are also easy to eat. That’s not all; bananas also contain high amounts of minerals and vitamins. Have you ever considered or trying eating green bananas? Some people also eat green bananas. This has raised the question if they are good or bad for the body.
What is the difference between yellow and green bananas?
Generally, all bananas are harvested from the plant while they are green. This ensures they reach the market while in good state. We have all come across green and yellow bananas in the market, isn’t it? There is plenty of difference apart from their color. Here are the main differences:
- Texture- All green bananas are more firm when compared to the yellow bananas.
- Taste- Yellow bananas are more sweet when compare to yellow bananas. In fact, yellow bananas can be consumed in their current condition. Green bananas have a bitter taste. This means they cannot be consumed in their state because of their bitter taste.
- Composition- Green bananas are rich in starches when compared to yellow or ripe bananas. All the starches found in yellow bananas are converted into sugar.
The carbohydrate composition changes as Banana ripens
Unripe bananas contain more carb when compared to ripe or yellow bananas. Unripe or green bananas contain high amounts of starch. Starch is the dominant component found in green bananas. Resistant starch is main starch found in green bananas. This type of starch isn’t digested in the digestive tract. This is the reason it is classified under dietary fiber. Bananas tend to lose their starch as they ripen. Starch in bananas is converted into sugar as it ripens. It can be fructose, glucose or sucrose. A fully ripe banana comprises only 1 percent of starch.
Green bananas also contain a good amount of pectin. Pectin is responsible for the structural form of green bananas. It tends to break down as bananas ripen. This is the reason they become mushy and soft as they ripen. The high amounts of pectin and resistant starch found in green or unripe bananas helps the body in numerous ways. They can improve the digestive functioning and well being. Additionally, they boost the body when it comes to blood sugar control.
Are both yellow and green bananas nutritious?
Yes, both green and yellow bananas are nutritious for the body in numerous ways. The micronutrients found in green bananas are the same as those in yellow or ripe bananas. Here are some micronutrients found in both yellow and green bananas:
- Fiber- Fiber can help people shed off some unwanted weight. It can also normalize the movement of bowels.
- Vitamin B6- Vitamin B6 can improve the performance and well being of the brain. Pregnant women can use vitamin B6 to control nausea. Above all; Vitamin B6 can prevent and help manage anemia.
- Potassium- Potassium is a mineral and reduces the possibility of contracting specific chronic conditions. These chronic conditions are stroke, high blood pressure and kidney stones.
- Copper- Copper helps the body in the formation of red blood cells. This mineral also reduces the possibility of cardiovascular conditions.
- Vitamin C- Vitamin C plays a crucial role in the development, growth and repair of body tissues.
- Manganese- Manganese helps in digestion of amino acids and protein.
- Magnesium- Magnesium helps people with type 2 diabetes by reducing insulin resistance. It also helps lower high blood pressure.
It is evident that both yellow and green bananas are very beneficial for the body.
Green bananas can reduce your appetite by making you feel full
Are you struggling with weight because of uncontrolled eating habits? If yes, consider green bananas. Green bananas contain high amounts of fiber. Fiber can significantly reduce your appetite most part of the day. It makes you full most part of the day. Green bananas contain both pectin and starch. These two components are responsible for making you full most part of the day when you eat green bananas. In addition to this, both starch and pectin slowly leave the body. This makes a person eat less calories resulting into weight loss.
Green bananas and the digestive health
Research and practical studies have been conducted to showcase if there is a relationship between green bananas and the digestive health. Some nutrients and components found in green bananas are capable of improving the wellness and functionality of the digestive tract. The prebiotic effect of green bananas is what makes people frequently eat them. Pectin and resistant starch feeds the good bacteria in the gut apart instead of getting broken down in the small intestine. The good bacteria found in the gut ferments both resistant starch and pectin. Fermentation produces both short chain fatty acids and butyrate that help solve different digestive problems. Green bananas also reduce the possibility of contracting colon cancer.
Green bananas help deal with blood sugar
High blood sugar levels can get serious if not normalized fast. It can result to type 2 diabetes if not controlled or trigger other health complications. The high amounts of both resistant starch and pectin help deal with blood sugar levels. Ripe or yellow bananas contain low amounts of resistant starch and pectin. This is one of the reasons they are not effective in dealing with high blood pressure when compared to green bananas.
Are green bananas unhealthy?
Based on the above information, it is evident that green bananas are very healthy. However, some people experience some discomfort as a result of eating the green bananas. They experienced some discomfort symptoms such as constipation, gas and bloating. Intense study revealed that those with latex allergy should completely avoid green bananas. Green bananas have the same proteins like those found in latex. Other people can comfortably enjoy their green bananas without worry.
It is evident that green bananas contain numerous nutrients. Consuming green bananas provides your body with some nutrients that might not be available in yellow bananas. What are you waiting for? Regularly consume green bananas to improve your digestive tract health. Unripe bananas can also help you lower blood sugar levels. Look for different ways green bananas can be prepared and enjoy their tremendous benefits.